Home Add a memory Read memories FAQ
Contributors People Places Research & Education Timeline Lab Events Images & Movies

Go Back   The Memory Board at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory > Contributors, ADD YOUR MEMORY! > URPs, Partners for the Future & Nature Study Participants
User Name
Password
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

URPs, Partners for the Future & Nature Study Participants The Undergraduate Research Program began in 1959 and has introduced generations of students to the world of research. If you were an URP participant, where are you now, what are you doing and how did the URP experience influence your work?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-18-2004, 12:53 PM

Default Summer at CSHL

A few days after I walked into the Hannon lab I was assigned to a post-doc, and we then started thinking of a project we could begin working on. Things evolved rather quickly, and "my" post-doc, Jidong, and I worked around the clock, trying to accomplish as much as we could. We would usually preform our experiments, and then later on during the day "huddle" and discuss results and further tests that should be done accordingly. I was amazed to find out that the people whose articles I had been reading in "Nature," "Science", "Cell" and other leading scientific mazagines, were actually some of the nicest, funniest, and most helpful people I had ever met. I would come talk to Ahmed about my work, who would suggest more controls, or raise possilities I hadn't thought of, or come talk to Amy, who would, usually in the midst of an important experiment, tell me: "Oh, I already tried that" and direct me to a stack of articles lying on her bench to get the proper background information. Liz and I would usually try to synchronize meal-times (unsuccessfully I might add), but ocassionally go sailing in the harbor at the crack of dawn while we waited for the gel-dryer to finish its work.

Truth be told, in addition to the "rush" of actually doing science, I was over-whelmed by the community I found at CSHL. It was this positive experience that made me confident that research in biology is what I want to continue doing for years to come.