Home Add a memory Read memories FAQ
Contributors People Places Research & Education Timeline Lab Events Images & Movies

Go Back   The Memory Board at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory > Contributors, ADD YOUR MEMORY! > Meetings: Organizers & Attendees
User Name
Password
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Meetings: Organizers & Attendees Reginald Harris, then Director of the Biological Laboratory, initiated the first Symposium in 1933. Today over 8,000 scientists come to the laboratory each year to attend meetings. What special moments do you recall from your participation in or organization of these meetings?

Old 03-02-2003, 10:27 AM

Default The Biology of DNA Meeting

I have always nurtured the dream of working on DNA biology since my high school days. I further got the opportunity of doing exciting experiments on DNA repair and mutagenesis while at college and further during my PhD at present. I consider myself immensly fortunate to have come to Cold Spring Harbor to participate in the 50th year of the Biology of DNA.

Initially, I was rather apprehesive, since this is my very first visit to the States. After some minor hassles at JFK, I reached Grace auditorium, I was reasonably convinced and hoped that I would bump into some one famous any moment, sure enough while I was registering at the meetings office, a very cheerful, and a sprightly gentleman, colorfully attired, came to register as one Prof.Erol Friedberg. I stopped short since wonderful memories of reading Dr.Friedbergs book on DNA repair filled my mind.

As I had come in a day early, I went up to stay at the Blackford. I kept fumbling with my swipe card for a very long time, but repeated attempts, failed to open the door. I contemplated on asking for help, but later decided against exposing my inability of using a swipe card. Just at that moment, Prof.Friedberg appeared from the next room and noticed my frantic attempts with the swipe card, realising that I was new to this, he immediately helped me open the door. I was rather ashamed but happy at the same time to have met someone whom I have always admired.

This meeting here, has had a lasting impression on me, and I sincerely seek the blessings of peers and pioneers of DNA Biology who have set the stage for an exciting and a passionate career for me on DNA biology.