Home Add a memory Read memories FAQ
Contributors People Places Research & Education Timeline Lab Events Images & Movies

Go Back   The Memory Board at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory > Contributors, ADD YOUR MEMORY! > Courses: Instructors & Attendees
User Name
Password
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Courses: Instructors & Attendees Dr. Bashford Dean led the first course at Cold Spring Harbor in 1890, but the modern era began in 1945 with the Phage course, established by Max Delbrück and Salvador Luria. The Courses have had an enormous impact on research, introducing thousands of scientists to new topics. What courses did you participate in and how were they memorable?

Old 05-27-2016, 04:30 PM

Default Experiencing the Tumor Virus Course 1972

For me, my first visit to CSHL was the most powerful experience because I came with my family in August 1972 and stayed for over 2 weeks organizing and teaching the Tumor Virus course with Bernhard Hirt. My wife Margaret's lasting impression was that on arrival, Jim Watson carried her suitcase! I loved the the research community and envied Joe Sambrook's lifestyle and intellect. But when I said how wonderful it would be to work here and be able to walk across the grass barefoot from lodging to lab, Margaret pointed out that living on a 'feudal estate' might be more problematic than I imagined. I returned to CSHL often.

The 1974 Symposium was a notable occasion being devoted to tumor viruses and David Baltimore's summing up (a year before his Nobel) was masterful. My paper at that meeting on viruses with mixed glycoproteins (pseudotypes) set the tone for the eventual development of retroviral vectors bearing foreign envelopes and the use of replicating agents such as vesicular stomatitis virus as vaccines. Then there was a series of annual tumor virus workshops and the field expanded so much that it split into DNA and RNA tumor virus workshops. The latter continues to this day including a big input on HIV as the Retrovirus Workshop held each May.

Last edited by R Weiss : 05-27-2016 at 04:32 PM.