Home Add a memory Read memories FAQ
Contributors People Places Research & Education Timeline Lab Events Images & Movies

Go Back   The Memory Board at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory > Contributors, ADD YOUR MEMORY! > Symposia Participants
User Name
Password
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Symposia Participants The first symposium was initiated by Reginald Harris, Director of the Biological Laboratory in 1933. There have been 70 distinguished Symposia since then. Which one did you attend?

Old 04-17-2001, 09:45 PM

Default My first CSH symposium

I shall never forget my first CSH symposium. It was the 1968 meeting and I was a young and very green postdoc with David Goldthwait at Case Western Reserve University. David was invited to talk at the meeting that year and I was overwhelmed at his suggestion that I give the talk on work that I was doing then. This was the first formal scientific presentation of my career and I spent most of the meeting up to the time of the talk in abject terror; a terror considerably heightened by seeing in the flesh for the first time scientific lumineries such as Gobind Khorana and Arthur Kornberg. I remember distinctly my fascination at hearing Wallie Gilbert "unroll" his rolling circle model of phage DNA replication. The talk came and went and so did my terror. The next time I was invited to talk at a CSH symposium was 32 years later at the 2000 meeting. A very different experience indeed!